Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Wednesday Word: Acquaintance

acquaintance |əˈkwāntns|nouna person's knowledge or experience of something the students had little acquaintance with the language.• one's slight knowledge of or friendship with someone I renewed my acquaintance with Herbert |most men of her acquaintance were in uniform now.a person one knows slightly, but who is not a close friend a wide circle of friends and acquaintances.• such people considered collectively his extensive acquaintance included Oscar Wilde and Yeats.PHRASESmake the acquaintance of (or make someone's acquaintance) meet someone for the first time and become only slightly familiar they are anxious to make your acquaintance.DERIVATIVESacquaintanceship |-ˌ sh ip| nounORIGIN Middle English (in the sense [mutual knowledge, being acquainted] ): from Old Frenchacointancefrom acointier ‘make known’ (seeacquaint ).

I hate, hate, HATE this word. I can never spell it right. Pox on your syllables, acquaintance!

2 comments:

  1. Such strong feelings on this one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes me fifteen minutes every time to figure it out. Even autocorrect shrugs at me.

      Delete