Sunday, January 5, 2014

Status Update – The Return of Harvey and Gabe




My next book with Samhain will be Temper Sanguine, due out in June. All the content edits are done, and I've even seen a comp for the cover. It's a great feeling to be at this "OMG, I actually finished this thing!" stage. Temper Sanguine is a sequel to Spirit Sanguine and picks up a few months after where the first book left off. Without giving away too much, I can tell that there's some traveling, nasty bad guys, fighting, gore, and a colorful cast of supporting characters.

While Temper Sanguine is a sequel, I wrote it to work as a standalone. It takes extra work sum up the world and the relevant details from the previous book without turning it into an info-dump, but it's worth the effort.

Sometimes I'm amazed I finish anything at all. When I'm in the middle of a project the end seems hopelessly far away and I often despair. Fortunately, I've realized writing is a lot like climbing uphill—all you need to do is focus on your next step and you'll eventually make it to the top.

I wrote this book in layers, more than any other book before. The first draft was incredibly rough and it took multiple passes of edits to fill the wholes and smooth out the rough patches. Now that it's done, I'm truly pleased with the results.

In other news: I plan to publish the slightly re-edited version of Academic Pursuits in early March, and I'm currently working on a Dead Man story.

No comments:

Post a Comment